Kirk Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones pen letters in hopes of helping Cameron Douglas skirt jail

By Banzay on 06:26

Filed Under: ,



Cameron Douglas is pulling out all the stops in his bid for a softer sentence, getting 93-year-old grandfather Kirk Douglas to write to the judge.

And the "Spartacus" legend didn't pull any punches, saying it's his dying wish to see the troubled bit actor who calls him Pappy turn his life around.

"Cameron was always a pleasant guy who cared for others. It was a surprise to me when he got in trouble," the Hollywood hot shot wrote to Manhattan Federal Judge Richard Berman.

"I am convinced that Cameron could be a fine actor and a person that cares for others. I hope I can see that happen before I die. I love Cameron."

Cameron Douglas' father, Michael Douglas; his stepmom, Catherine Zeta-Jones; his mom, Diandra Douglas, and former NBA coach Pat Riley all wrote letters on behalf of the drug-dealing deejay.

The 31-year-old, who pleaded guilty after being caught pushing crystal meth, faces a minimum of 10 years in prison unless the judge cuts him a big break.

His famous family said he should be in rehab, not lockup.

Zeta-Jones said her stepson has been an "exceptional" brother to her two children and had never been abusive to the family.

"What is wrong is wrong, but may all these positive attributes prevail, so that a facility that he is positioned in will help rehabilitate him," she said in a handwritten note to the judge.

On official Miami Heat stationery, family friend Riley told Berman that he knows the heroin addict "can become a valuable, responsible productive person in society."

"Cameron is not a criminal," he added. "His criminal behavior cannot be tolerated and should bear consequences. I ask for mercy, Judge. Can we please save this 'ONE.'"

Cameron Douglas' mother blamed herself.

"I can admit, as I already have to Cameron, that I was not as wise as I should have been when it came to raising him due to my young age," she wrote.

"I must admit that my immediate reaction when I learned of my son's crime was one of guilt."

Cameron Douglas' lawyers are asking Berman to give him just 47 months in prison, arguing he became a middleman in crystal meth deals to feed his six-times-a-day heroin habit.

They also asked that the family pleas for mercy be kept under seal. The judge released some of the letters, though not one from Michael Douglas.

"This case is a routine drug case," his lawyers wrote. "The defendant is not Lynne Stewart, Michael Milken or the Unabomber."



Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/04/06/2010-04-06_kirk_douglas_catherine_zetajones_pen_letters_in_hopes_of_helping_cameron_douglas.html#ixzz0lk0aYYQq

0 comm. for this post

Отправить комментарий