Thoughts On Monday Night Raw: Edition 900

By Banzay on 05:38

Filed Under: ,


Before I get into the review, I wanted to say something: Remember that feeling you use to have when Raw was coming on, or no matter what game was on Monday Night Football, you had to flick to see what would happen next?

I do too. Despite my criticism about Vince Russo's writing and the damage he had upon the business, Vince Russo did two things: (1) He put hard work into his writing, and (2) he could make a show interesting no matter how silly or unrealistic the show was.

Despite Vince Russo's imperfections as a wrestling booker, I would take his writing in 1998-1999 over this Raw any day of the week. Vince Russo's writing was at least entertaining, unlike this show.

I am not a weekly viewer of Raw, but the Raws I do see aren't this bad. I was starting to get into Raw when I caught it one week.

The show was surrounded around Cena and Nexus, and the show was well booked. Raw started taping their shows one week in advance, so I started reading spoilers.

Therefore, this was the first Raw I've seen in about a month. I was looking forward to this Raw because it was the 900th edition and you would think there would be some special surprises on the show.

The show was actually also in my hometown and I actually debated on going but changed my mind due to the price for a ticket and how far the TB Garden is from my house.

Thus I ended up not going, but I watched it on TV since Monday Night Football wasn't on nor was the Redsox. The show started off with a promo with Bret Hart and Kane in the ring.

The promo was fine; Kane's mannerisms seemed a bit out of his character, and Bret Hart was, well, Bret Hart, but they were able to get the point across. As the promo was going along, the lights went out and Undertaker appeared, so Kane bailed, and Undertaker coughed to sell his vegetable state storyline.

The random GM announced Undertaker vs. Bret Hart tonight! Undertaker and Bret Hart had a great match at One Night Only and a pretty good one at Summerslam.... twelve years ago, but I knew they wouldn't have them wrestling for long.

We come back and the first match is under way. It's Kofi Kingston/ Michael Mcgullicutty vs. Daniel Bryan/Kaval vs. Miz/Alex Riley.

The match was fine and got its point across - that being Miz stealing another win against Daniel Bryan. It was also a good moment to see Bryan Danielson and Low Ki teaming up on Raw because it was something I thought I would've never seen, and I think both wrestlers would probably agree with me.

Low Ki got to show off his stuff, and I thought he looked sharp. I haven't seen NXT, so I don't know how he's doing over there, but we can only hope that he ends up doing okay after NXT.

I think if he went to Smackdown, he could do some wonders over there with some of their talent and because Smackdown has more midcard wrestling on its show. Who wouldn't want to see Low Ki vs. Christian or Low Ki vs. Mysterio for ten-minutes?

For Daniel Bryan, I think he has a bright future in WWE. Never in a million years did I think he would be main eventing Summerslam in the WWE never mind in his first year. So all you whiners and complainers who think Danielson isn't being utilized right, I think you're looking for a reason to complain.

If that's not the case, then you must be a blind mark who thinks because Danielson is a great wrestler he should be main eventing Wrestlemania. I doubt that will ever happen, but I do know what is happening and that being Danielson is in the more compelling, well booked feud right now in the WWE.

The following match was Melina/Eve vs. Laycool. The match was less than a minute so I cannot comment on it. I don't know whether Laycool are great heels or just really annoying, but since they don't get that much heat, I'm leaning towards annoying.

Drew McIntrye/Cody Rhodes vs. Morrison and R-Truth was for the number one contendership for the tag team championships. Michael Cole was heeling it up by mocking R-Truth's entrance.

At least I'm not the only one who finds R-Truth annoying and awful, but on a serious note - what happened to John Morrison?

I mean, at one time I considered him the future. Now, he's floating just above water and is close to drowning.

I knew Morrison needed work; I wasn't that guy who thought he was the next Shawn Michaels, but he does have a good look that works both face and heel, he's flashy and unique, he was good on the mic as a heel and could talk, and all he needed to do was learn some fundamentals of wrestling aka some psychology and storytelling both in and outside the ring, and after the WWE road agents, which are top-notch agents if you ask me, helped him with that, he was ready for to be a star.

Until then, they were booking good matches where he could hide his flaws, but now they are booking him as a cookie-cutter midcarder. I think it's a poor decision to drop the ball on Morrison's potential, but the boat hasn't sunk yet.

The match was less than a minute and ended in a no-contest. I don't know why they did it that way, but my guess would be both teams get the title shot.

This brings us to the worst segment of the night - Bret Hart vs. Undertaker. The match doesn't happen because Wade Barrett does a run-in.

I don't think anyone lost any sleep for not being able to see the match, but I guess if you take Raw really seriously, then you've might've lost sleep about the post match booking because it was awful. The lights flickering on and off was silly and absurd.

I love how once it's dark, you can magically lose your grasp on someone's throat going for a chokeslam. I never thought the lights going out was a good booking decision at all.

I always thought it was silly and flat-out stupid. Kane and Undertaker are top candidates for worst feud of the year without the worst part happening yet - the matches.

If anything reminded me of Raw in the past, it was Jack Swagger vs. Evan Bourne because the way they booked it with Alberto Del Reio coming out in the middle of the match. It reminded me of when Raw use to have backstage interviews when wrestling was going on, which was a distraction to the viewers who wanted to see the match.

The match was average stuff by both men, but I am liking Alberto Del Reio. I think he needs a bit more work, but his gimmick reminds me of JBL and his facial expressions and mannerisms are impressive.

It seems he needs some work on the mic because he doesn't sound like an a-hole, which is what his character is portraying. I saw his Rey Mysterio match and thought it was a quality debut and he looked good.

I hope Mark Henry was a one time thing because going from Rey Mysterio to Mark Henry is a huge downgrade. For Evan Bourne, though, what happened with his push?

CM Punk came out and cut a great promo that was well put together. He talked about how Raw had a lot of bad moments, and he said he had two words for us, Katie Vick.

He went on showing "bad" moments on Raw, and then the last one he showed was Stone Cold Steve Austin. Austin's entrance music hit, but it was a set-up by Punk, which was on par with HBK selling Bret Hart's music.

CM Punk handled himself well in this promo and showed that he will become a big time player in WWE once they call him up for the duty again. Punk's momentum was off the charts on this promo, and I knew if he didn't leave after that Stone Cold Steve Austin tease, the promo was going to go past its apex.

It did just that once Big Show came out and started joking around. He then did a bad impression of Hulk Hogan for no apparent reason.

He proceeded to do a Borat impression, and then he chopped Punk in the chest. Joey and Punk bailed, but Luke didn't.

Big Show beat him up and just like that the segment was ruined and Punk lost his heat.

Sheamus came out and Edge came out. They went back and forth and said their usual insults.

The main event was Sheamus/John Cena/ Randy Orton/Chris Jericho/Edge vs. Nexus. The match did its job in selling the point of what it wanted to get across. Nothing stood out, but it was good to see Wade Barrett as well as Nexus get a victory, a clean one at that.

Overall, I think the show speaks for itself. There was no good build heading towards Night of Champions, there were no surprises on the show, even though they hyped it up as being a historical night, and it lacked wrestling, which isn't a bad thing always, but since the show did nothing in building up Night of Champions or the next Raw, the entire show was two hours of filler if you ask me.

The only thing historical about the show was that they told us every second it was historical, and they showed us all the shows they've out beaten on TV, so WWE could gloat in its own ego once more. At one point, I was getting sick of hearing it, especially since they did nothing to back up what they saying.

Monday Night Raw shouldn't be considered a TV show series neither should Monday Night Football. You cannot compare either one to a show like Seinfeld.

If Jerry Seinfeld was getting stale, they couldn't bring it Larry David to just become the figurehead of the show. It doesn't work that way, so I think it's an unfair comparison that WWE loves to showboat about, despite how irrelevant it is in today's society.

0 comm. for this post

Отправить комментарий