Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson visits Rochester

By Banzay on 07:04

Filed Under: ,


Reggie Jackson's playing career ended 22 years ago, but it's clear the Hall of Fame outfielder is still very involved in the game.

Now 63, Jackson is a special adviser to the New York Yankees and a constant presence around the playoff-bound team.
"It looks like we're going to play the Tigers," Jackson said Thursday at the 20th annual Compeer Sports Luncheon. "(Pitcher Justin) Verlander is as tough as it gets for today's pitcher. We've had a great year, but now it's best-of-five."

Jackson, nicknamed "Mr. October" for his World Series heroics, spoke before 800 people at the Riverside Convention Center.

"I saw Oct. 1 was open," he said, "and I do not have bad days in October."

Jackson said teamwork and chemistry are vital to a club's success, more than money.

"I always thought if you have a pile of money, you'll wind up being the best," he said. "It doesn't work that way. No world champions since 2000 have had the highest payroll. I know, because we've had the highest payroll every year."

Jackson, one of three players to be two-time World Series MVP, closed his speech with a question-and-answer session with the audience:

On why he no longer wears a World Series ring: "I found out in 1977 when we won the Series that they give out about 200. When I saw people on the street wearing them, I didn't wear mine very much.

"I didn't wear a ring again until I got my Hall of Fame ring in 1993."

On his bat size: "When I played, bats were a lot heavier. I took one of my bats to Oakland this year when the Yankees played there. It weighed 43 ounces and was 36 inches long. It's the bat I used to drive in 10 runs against the Red Sox. Hee, hee, hee."

On the top team in the National League: "I like the Cardinals. I played for Tony La Russa, so I do root for Tony. And Albert Pujols is the best player right now in baseball."

On the toughest pitchers he ever faced: "Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, Catfish Hunter, Jim Palmer, Mickey Lolich and a guy named Mike Caldwell, who pitched for the Brewers. The toughest was probably my old teammate, Rollie Fingers."

0 comm. for this post

Отправить комментарий